My artistic statement and where In The Plus is going.

I thought I would finish how this blog started, and we began with Matt’s artistic statement so I thought after creating my solo performance I would give you mine concerning In The Plus and hopefully I don’t sound like a mad man just someone passionate about a performance concept.

I have had time to reflect on my piece, and I realised this I not over, I have only just begun. This performance only just scratched the surface of asexuality and that being said I would like to announce on here now the foundations of what I am going to call the ‘In The Plus Project’.

I have wanted to do this for a long time, but this experience and this module has given me the drive to keep going. The In The Plus project will include the further development of my solo performance from 10mins to for now 30mins, and I shall apply to showcase this at Newvolutions festival in January. However more excitingly I have been thinking about this for a long time and where to take this next.

In The Plus was just the beginning and will be included in the project but more importantly the project will include a series of performance pieces bringing awareness to asexuality this will be in the format similar to Ellie Harissons Grief Series or more notably Shia LaBeouf’s #TouchMySoul and #HeWillNotDevideUs  or even more famously Abramovic’s Rhythm series. In an exploration of this my series of asexual projects will be a mix between performances such as the solo performance you have seen to installations to even documentation. I have many ideas to explore, and this will start from today.

I want to do this for myself and my community which I feel is the correct reason to do this for as I have a purpose for myself and other people. My aim as an artist/performer/actor is:

Explore emotion in creation.
Bring visibility to asexuality through the In The Plus project
Take creation seriously but have fun.
Nothing is wrong until you explore it.
Be open to collaboration and community-based ideas.
Be me, not something else.

Again thank you for giving me a platform to move my aspirations forward this module ignited a passion inside of me along with Contemporary Experimental Performance that even I don’t think I understand yet. I don’t know where the wind is taking me, but I do know it is taking me somewhere and even as my passion in theatre is strong and I plan to act on stages my passion for pursuing this project will only grow with it.

Also, a cake is fantastic.

33059060_2048032598544801_5041043354863796224_n 33110844_2048032641878130_354761644359811072_n